Hi friends! So I was lucky enough to be nominated for a Liebster Award, a recognition given to smaller bloggers in an effort to create networking and encourage discovering new blogs! I was nominated by the lovely Becky Jones at The Big L Photography. She then challenged each of the bloggers nominated to answer ten questions about their blog, and I was so excited to do so!
- Who is your favourite blogger? I hate that I go with a big name here, but I really love Jean of Extra Petite! My mom got me hooked on her amazing Pinterest boards, and I’ve been in love ever since! The fashion and lifestyle blog focuses on wearable outfits for girls who are, well, extra petite! At only 4′ 11″ myself, this has proved to be an invaluable resource :)
- What do you enjoy the most about blogging? I love that I get to talk about what I want, when I want. I am passionate about lots of things, and having my own blog gives me the freedom to talk about all of these things, in a way that only I can. Although my nanny posts are near and dear to my heart, I think I love my life lesson, inspirational rambles the best. They never intend to be an inspirational post, but I’m always very pleased when I can read back over my work and really feel motivated.
- How did you choose your blog niche and name? I have no niche! I think that’s pretty unique about my blog, but I also see it affecting my ability to really ‘make it big’ as a blog. I don’t care. I write my blog, and I like my blog, and if you like it, read it! My blog name is simple, my first and middle name. My tagline is just like me, and reflect the randomness of my blog- a little bit of everything.
- Who has inspired you the most in your life and why? I hate to be so cliche, but my parents are really one of the biggest reasons I feel like I can take risks and pursue my dreams. Without having their support for the last 20 years, I don’t think I would’ve ever felt comfortable enough to take a chance and put myself out there as much as I have.
- What song/album would be the soundtrack of your life? “Farrah Fawcett Hair” by Capital Cities. This is kind of a weird sounding, song I admit, but I love it. Every time I hear it I think about how wonderful the world we live in today is, and how lucky I am to be here, now. Yes, the world can be terrible and cruel, but it’s also filled with so many little good things that can go unnoticed. To quote the song: it’s #goodshit :)
- What do you hope to be doing in 5 years time? In five years I hope my postpartum business, The Newly Born Mother, is successful! I hope to incorporate practices of being a postpartum doula, certified newborn specialist, and lactation consultant to create the best postpartum experience possible for every mother! Beyond the business aspect, I hope The Newly Born Mother serves as a safe space for new mothers to meet and talk about anything and everything. I would love to be create a loving community for mothers!
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I think I would really love to live in Norway. I’ve heard its absolutely beautiful, and it seems like a very chill, relaxed place to settle down. Of course I don’t think I could ever actually pick up and live out of the country. I hold my family much too dear, and it would kill me being so far away.
- If you could ask one person one question and be guaranteed a honest answer, who would you ask and what would the question be? I would ask my FutureSelf what I’m wasting my time on now. Just like I look back on my high school self and sigh at all the time I spent worrying what others thought of me, I’m sure 30 year-old me will do the same. It’d be nice to figure out now what to really focus my energy on, and what may not pan out after all.
- If you could have any celebrity be a subscriber and regular reader of your blog, who would it be and why? Shamelessly answering with my celebrity crush, Darren Criss. Yeah, he may not be into the crafts, or recipes, or nanny stuff, but I’d like to think my other ramble posts have some good substance that he might enjoy. He seems like a go-getter and someone who would like to share a good motivational post every now and again. (Also, what if he reads my writing, and loves it so much he has to meet me?! AHHHHHH all my dreams come true)
- If you could go on a travel photography trip to anywhere in the world for free, where would you go? Hands down, I would love to go to Germany to take pictures. I think it’s kind of an underrated country, with Paris and London and Rome being so near, but I’ve heard it’s beautiful. I had a German au pair that stayed with us for a few summers and she showed us a picture of her backyard, and the Alps were just perfectly behind her house, all majestic and beautiful. Crazy.
Hello friends! So I’m currently in Destin, Florida, woo! I’m spending about a week and a half here with my family (parents and younger brother) and really enjoying the time off from work. However- this trip meant a few more days of travel for me. I first traveled from Austin up to Dallas, about a 3 hour drive. The next morning we got up bright and early to drive from Dallas to New Orleans, where we stayed one night, then made the last leg of the drive the next day all the way to Destin. Believe me, after spending the majority of the last 3 days in a car, I was ready to get to the beach!
The one thing that always gets me when traveling is packing. I loathe it. I don’t know if anyone really likes it. I always have the problem where I come up with all these amazing outfits and am convinced I will wear every one. I’m one of those people who packs what they need, then last minute throws in tons of extra stuff that I don’t end up using.
So, when packing for this trip I tried to focus on bringing pieces that I knew I could use in multiple outfits! The exception here is dresses, because I absolutely adore wearing dresses in the summer because, well- no pants! Of course I brought way too many with me, but hey, I have to be prepared :) Below are the items that I packed for my trip, all packed with my favorite rolling method. I laid out some outfit examples as well, and even though there are more outfits than days I would be traveling, I like having options. Also, take the outfit examples as a guide, not a complete list. I’m sure there’s twice as many outfit combinations that could be made, these are just some of the ones I knew I would be most likely to wear.
- 5 tops- I chose 3 tops that are meant to be layered over other tank tops for variety. Any of these 3 tops could go on top of any of the 6 tank tops and be paired with shorts or even a skirt. The other two tops (blue patterned and brown speckled on far right) I chose because of how light and breezy they would be on the hot beach! Plus, in case of colder weather, both tops would pair nicely with either the basic blue or white cardigan and jeans.
- 6 tank tops- Perfect for layering under the 3 aforementioned tops, under cardigans, or on their own! Note: when packing undergarments for the trip, these are what I planned all my bras around. That way I didn’t have to scramble for a bra that wouldn’t show through the shirt, or had mismatching strap colors.
- 2 basic tops- Basics, obviously. Good for layering under cardigans, on top of tank tops if needed, and goes with anything!
- 3 cardigans- I chose a basic white to go with anything (including dresses- I’m always that one girl freezing in nice restaurants), a light blue that’s summery and also goes with tons, and a black and white cheetah print cardigan. The basic idea with this one is to go with a patterned neutral that could be layered on top of solid colors, like our solid colored tank tops! This is a super easy way to build quick outfits. A pattered cardigan, solid colored tank, and either black, white, or denim shorts= a winning combo! How perfect! It’s like we planned it :)
- 2 bandeaus- For layering under the brown speckled top (it’s a little showy on the sides and cleavage) or under the 3 other layering tops. Also super cute on their own with the high-waisted skirt
- 3 shorts- Go with 3 basics! Denim shorts go with everything, as does black. Black shorts add a little nice of a feel that cuffed denims, and the teal shorts are a fun pop of color that can be added to the basic black and white v-neck tees, plus look great with a black tank top with the cheetah print cardigan
- 1 pair of jeans- Really only in case it gets cold, or if planning a trip to the movies. I always get cold in movies- tell me I’m not the only one!
- 1 skirt- I chose a skirt that had multiple colors in the print so I could match it with different tops. This one could go with black, white, coral, mint, and teal.
- 6 dresses- Okay, so this is a lot of dresses. But when you’re on the beach and coming back and forth between the room, a lot of times you’ll wear one outfit in the morning, then come home and shower and get ready to go out wearing something completely different. Also, I really love dresses. Nothing’s easier than just throwing on one piece and heading out the door!
- 3 swimsuits- Multiple suits so you never have to put on a wet one! Also, who doesn’t love showing off a cute bikini at the beach? :)
- 6 pairs of shoes- Basically my plan was just to bring 4 pairs of flip flops, but I realized I would need close-toed shoes with jeans, and brought a pair of heels to go with a dress if we went somewhere nice. All the shoes I brought were neutrals- black, white, gold, silver, and tan.
Keep reading for my outfit examples!
Dear Cold: Please please go away. Dear Family: I’m home!! I’m so happy to be back again and spend Thanksgiving together :) Dear Snuggie: You are also magical at keeping me warm. Thank you. Dear J: I’m already missing you today. Can’t wait to see you Friday!!