Hey friends! Told you I’d be back :)
Today is another nanny-specific post, so if you enjoy those types of things, read on! If not…. well stick around for as long as you can anyway!
I learned about National Nanny Training Day about a week before the actual event, and was lucky enough to be able to make the trip on somewhat short notice. National Nanny Training Day is an event started and sponsored by Nannypalooza, one of the largest gatherings of nannies held each year. NNTD is also sponsored by HomeWork Solutions, a home employee payroll company. This year, the NNTD event for Texas was held in Dallas, and it worked out perfectly for me to be able to stay with my parents for the weekend to attend the training. This year, National Nanny Training Day held over 32 events across the nation. That’s a ton of nannies all getting together to learn! In fact, the number was close to 1150 nannies who are invested in their nannying career, how awesome!! Continue reading
Hey friends! Another nanny post today because I’m a nanny and love kids and stuff. So, there are tons of nanny facebook groups and twitter pages. And when nannies post in these groups (for advice, to vent, etc.), they use lots of abbreviations when talking about nanny-specific things. This post is mainly because I’m tired of explaining and re-explaining what all these terms mean to newbie nannies, plus maybe other people would be interested to take a peek into the secret lives of nannies. Ha! So here goes. The master list of nanny abbreviations!
Here are some of the most common: Continue reading
Hi friends! Today’s prompt for day eight of the October blogging challenge is a Day In the Life. Lucky for me, I wrote a similar post not too long ago, and since not much has changed, I’ve decided to link it here.
Hope you all have a wonderful day friends, and see you here again tomorrow!
Hi friends! Today’s blog post prompt of the day is six of your pet peeves. Just follow these simple steps and we can be friends:
- Don’t Poke Me- I absolutely hate when people tap me as a way to get my attention. When people go tap tap tap on my shoulder, it literally gives me anxiety. My heart races, my breath shortens, and all I can think is that whatever you have to tell me better be so important. Oh, you just wanted me to tell you what time it is? Then don’t tap tap tap me like the world is ending ohmygod you almost gave me a heart attack stop it. Stop it! DON’T POKE ME.
- Ignorant People- Conservative Republicans are the worst offenders of this bunch. Like, are you aware that your views make you seem like you don’t care about anyone but yourself and your money and your religion?
- Don’t Touch My Feet- I read somewhere that this is a preemie thing. That babies born prematurely had blood drawn from their feet in the NICU, and that’s why they’re particularly sensitive. Mine are both sensitive and particular ticklish. Someone’s hands hovering above my feet gives me this weird feeling of anticipation. Pedicures are the worst for me, and massage therapists have to be reminded- NO FEET.
- Don’t Click/Tap/Drum Your Pen/Pencil- Jacob used to be the worst about it when we studied together. Now he goes to all his TA’s study sessions, so its not my problem anymore, woo!
- Don’t Chew With Your Mouth Open- This is gross and everyone knows it. Stop it. STOP IT.
- Don’t Put Me Down- Don’t dare tell me that nannying isn’t a ‘real’ job. Don’t think I don’t know what I’m doing with my life. Don’t ever doubt me, and we’ll be fine.
What are your pet peeves, friends? Let me know!
Hi friends! So I was lucky enough to be nominated for a Liebster Award, a recognition given to smaller bloggers in an effort to create networking and encourage discovering new blogs! I was nominated by the lovely Becky Jones at The Big L Photography. She then challenged each of the bloggers nominated to answer ten questions about their blog, and I was so excited to do so!
- Who is your favourite blogger? I hate that I go with a big name here, but I really love Jean of Extra Petite! My mom got me hooked on her amazing Pinterest boards, and I’ve been in love ever since! The fashion and lifestyle blog focuses on wearable outfits for girls who are, well, extra petite! At only 4′ 11″ myself, this has proved to be an invaluable resource :)
- What do you enjoy the most about blogging? I love that I get to talk about what I want, when I want. I am passionate about lots of things, and having my own blog gives me the freedom to talk about all of these things, in a way that only I can. Although my nanny posts are near and dear to my heart, I think I love my life lesson, inspirational rambles the best. They never intend to be an inspirational post, but I’m always very pleased when I can read back over my work and really feel motivated.
- How did you choose your blog niche and name? I have no niche! I think that’s pretty unique about my blog, but I also see it affecting my ability to really ‘make it big’ as a blog. I don’t care. I write my blog, and I like my blog, and if you like it, read it! My blog name is simple, my first and middle name. My tagline is just like me, and reflect the randomness of my blog- a little bit of everything.
- Who has inspired you the most in your life and why? I hate to be so cliche, but my parents are really one of the biggest reasons I feel like I can take risks and pursue my dreams. Without having their support for the last 20 years, I don’t think I would’ve ever felt comfortable enough to take a chance and put myself out there as much as I have.
- What song/album would be the soundtrack of your life? “Farrah Fawcett Hair” by Capital Cities. This is kind of a weird sounding, song I admit, but I love it. Every time I hear it I think about how wonderful the world we live in today is, and how lucky I am to be here, now. Yes, the world can be terrible and cruel, but it’s also filled with so many little good things that can go unnoticed. To quote the song: it’s #goodshit :)
- What do you hope to be doing in 5 years time? In five years I hope my postpartum business, The Newly Born Mother, is successful! I hope to incorporate practices of being a postpartum doula, certified newborn specialist, and lactation consultant to create the best postpartum experience possible for every mother! Beyond the business aspect, I hope The Newly Born Mother serves as a safe space for new mothers to meet and talk about anything and everything. I would love to be create a loving community for mothers!
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why? I think I would really love to live in Norway. I’ve heard its absolutely beautiful, and it seems like a very chill, relaxed place to settle down. Of course I don’t think I could ever actually pick up and live out of the country. I hold my family much too dear, and it would kill me being so far away.
- If you could ask one person one question and be guaranteed a honest answer, who would you ask and what would the question be? I would ask my FutureSelf what I’m wasting my time on now. Just like I look back on my high school self and sigh at all the time I spent worrying what others thought of me, I’m sure 30 year-old me will do the same. It’d be nice to figure out now what to really focus my energy on, and what may not pan out after all.
- If you could have any celebrity be a subscriber and regular reader of your blog, who would it be and why? Shamelessly answering with my celebrity crush, Darren Criss. Yeah, he may not be into the crafts, or recipes, or nanny stuff, but I’d like to think my other ramble posts have some good substance that he might enjoy. He seems like a go-getter and someone who would like to share a good motivational post every now and again. (Also, what if he reads my writing, and loves it so much he has to meet me?! AHHHHHH all my dreams come true)
- If you could go on a travel photography trip to anywhere in the world for free, where would you go? Hands down, I would love to go to Germany to take pictures. I think it’s kind of an underrated country, with Paris and London and Rome being so near, but I’ve heard it’s beautiful. I had a German au pair that stayed with us for a few summers and she showed us a picture of her backyard, and the Alps were just perfectly behind her house, all majestic and beautiful. Crazy.